For the week of Monday, July 5th through Saturday, July 8th, Ratto’s will feature a special sandwich consisting of Spanish-style chorizo, aged Manchego cheese and marinated fire-roasted red peppers with garlic-dijon mayo & arugula on Acme’s ciabatta roll. $9.50
Each week, we select from the freshest ingredients, including Zoe’s Sustainable Deli Meats, Acme Bread, fine imported cheeses, boldly-flavored condiments, and locally-sourced vegetables to create a mouth-watering sandwich special. The sandwiches will be announced online, and posted on the chalkboard in the store.
Happy Independence Day to all of our wonderful customers!! We’ll be open on Monday, and closed on Tuesday, July 4. We’ll be back at it Wednesday morning preparing delicious soup, salads & sandwiches. Ratto’s crew wishes all of you a safe and fun-filled holiday.
You'll enjoy this delicious salad as a side or main dish year round!
1 cup Black Forbidden Rice
good salt, like Bitterman’s Fleur de Sel and black pepper
1/2 small red onion (halved and sliced thin)
1/3 cup orange juice
2 tablespoons champagne or white wine vinegar
1 tablespoon coarse grain mustard
8-10 dried apricots (sliced)
1/3 cup whole raw almonds (toasted and roughly chopped)
1/3 cup dried cranberries or cherries
1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
lemon olive oil (we love the Ranise brand from Italy)
1. Rinse rice in a sieve under cold running water until water runs clear.
2. Bring rice, water (1¾ cups), ½ teaspoon salt, and ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper to a boil in a 2 ½ - to 3-quarts heavy saucepan, uncovered, over medium-high heat.
Cover and reduce heat to low, and then cook until rice is tender and most of water has been absorbed, about 35 minutes.
3. Remove from heat and let stand, covered, 10 minutes. Fluff with a fork and the spread onto a sheet pan to quickly cool down; about 20-30 minutes.
4. While rice is cooking; in a large bowl, combine the red onion, orange juice, vinegar, mustard and ½ teaspoon salt. Toss to combine and set aside to let the red onions soften a bit and the dressings flavors to come alive.
5. When the rice has cooled, stir it into the bowl with the dressing and toss to combine. Add the apricots, almonds, dried cranberries/cherries and most of the parsley and toss to incorporate. Season with a bit more salt and pepper.
Divide among four bowls/plates or on to one large platter. Garnish with the feta cheese and dress with drizzle of lemon olive oil and a few grinds of freshly ground black pepper and a few pinches of salt, if desired.